Great Expectations® (GE) is a professional development program that provides teachers and administrators with the skills needed to create harmony and excitement within the school atmosphere, elements that are basic for inspiring students to pursue academic excellence. With a focus on the human quality of teaching and learning, GE provides renewal and inspiration for teachers who may have lost their way and forgotten why they became teachers in the beginning.
GE is an answer for all schools, regardless of size, geographic location, student demographics, or economic base. GE creates an infrastructure that promotes improved student self-esteem, attendance, discipline, and parent participation – all of which result in improved academic achievement. Drawing from many learning theories, professional development is grounded in the belief that all students can learn, no matter what labels have been placed on them.
Rather than teaching WHAT to teach,
Great Expectations methodology focuses
on the learning climate and the HOW of teaching.
Characteristics of Great Expectations® Teachers:
- They understand it is their responsibility to reach every student.
- They understand that building self-esteem and motivation is the key to helping students believe they are capable of learning.
- They set high expectations for students.
- They inspire and motivate students to reach upward to attain expectations.
- They create a climate of mutual respect that empowers students to take necessary risks to grow academically, and to be willing to make a few mistakes in order to do so.
- They recognize student’s mistakes as opportunities to learn.
- They value and appreciate students’ ideas and efforts.
- They are facilitators of learning who encourage and believe in their students.
- They care for their students and require excellence in every detail.
- They provide an atmosphere of constant encouragement and affirmation.
- They teach mastery level and beyond by encouraging students to use their imaginative and creative abilities.