Lessons and Strategies CHOICE
- Use any of the resources below to discuss making choices.
- Introductory lesson to choices:
Brainstorm choices learners make before school, at school, after school. See School Day Choice chart and School Day Example Choice Chart. Add to the example or start with blank chart.
- Tools: May use the strategies below with:
- any general decision-making as a class or with an individual learner
- Conflict resolution
- any situation/story to analyze choices made by character/s.
Suggest use as introductory songs for Choice
2) Literature Lessons:
Since Choice is an integral part of every story, the decision-making process steps may be applied to analyze the choices being made along with the consequences. This gives endless opportunities for reinforcing decision-making skills.
Selection of Potential Questions for Discussion:
- What choice was most important to the story ending?
- What might be some other possible choices (options) ?
- What was the critical point in the story where the choice made affected everything afterwards?
- What effect did the choice have on the others in the story?
- Were there smaller choices made that affected the main one? If so, what were they?
- What choice would you have made and why?
3) Reflection: (Select one.)
Have learners draw or write about:
I agreed/disagreed with the choice to……because…..
For my own life, the story made me think…….
The decision that stood out was…..