Expectation Four – Middle School
ESPRIT DE CORPS - devotion among members of a group for each other and group’s purpose
“Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are endless.” - Mother Teresa
Teacher: “ Kind words can be short”
Students: “And easy to speak.”
Teacher: “but their echoes”
Students: “are endless.”
Hand Sign for Expectation #4
Use sign for Cheer:
Hand makes the letter, ‘C’
and repeatedly brushes up
the side of chest.
Hall of Fame 2:50 min.
Celebration Song with lyrics** 3:34 min.
"You Raise Me Up"** 4:14 min. Lyrics
The New Nike Commercial: Together
You Raise Me Up** 1:30 min.
“The Eagle and the Chicken”
The Bulls and the Lion - Aesop’s Fable
“The Lame Boy” The Moral Compass, William Bennett, p. 378-379
“The Angel of the Battlefield”, The Book of Virtues by William Bennett, p. 144 - 146
“Life Is” by Mother Teresa
“Beautiful”, The Book of Virtues by William Bennett,, p. 134
LEXICON: Suggest use of one of the following methods;
- Student leader finds the word in a dictionary.
- Provide individual dictionaries.
- Display dictionary page on Interactive board.
- Access through use of media device.
- Write the word.
- Define the word.
- Find synonyms.
- Find antonyms.
Word Wall Vocabulary: devotion
Note: Reference Lexicon Resource
Vocabulary (P #8, 11)
Brainstorm words/phrases that exemplify:
Create a Venn diagram comparing and contrasting Praise and Encouragement.
Using Cooperative Learning Structure
Share with a partner about:
- Someone who has praised/encouraged you.
- How you can praise/encourage
Pair Share: (P 3,5,6)
- If students are seated on floor: Designate ‘elbow buddies’.
- If students are seated at tables: Assign table partner.
- If students are standing: Have students walk around and on a designated signal, find a partner near them. Those students without a partner raise their hands and find one.
- Have pairs share with each other, then with other pairs, other teams, or the entire group.
Write about a time when you received or gave praise or encouragement and whether it influenced your actions.
Some of the online videos have brief advertisements attached at the beginning that may be inappropriate for viewing by students and need to be cued before showing.