Below is a sampling of the resource materials that may be used to identify and evaluate the use of the life principle.
It is suggested that evidence of this life principle or the lack of it may be found in many writings, films, videos, etc. It is recommended for learners to be engaged in a continuous search for life principle connections as part of the critical thinking process.
Tool for Evaluating Components of Types of Media:
- "We Are the World"** 7:11 min.
We are the World Printable lyrics
- "We're All In This Together"4:43 min.
- "Everyday People"- 6:05 min. Reba McEntire & Co
- Lean on Me** 4:21 min.Lyrics
- "You Raise Me Up"4:14 min.
- Josh Groban - You Raise Me Up (Official Music Video) - YouTube 4:49 min. Official music video
- Westlife - You Raise Me Up 4:03 min. video of lyrics for song
- You Raise Me Up - Chinese Boy and Girl 4:03 min.
- Reba McEntire and Carol King - Everyday People - YouTube 6:06 min.
- Everything is Awesome Lyrics - YouTube - 2:48 min.
Lyrics for Everyone is Awesome!!
- The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (Lyrics) - YouTube 4:14 min.
- He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother lyrics
- Nickelback - If Everyone Cared [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube If Everyone Cared by Nickelback Lyrics
All Grade Levels:
- The Seven Chinese Brothers - Read Aloud - 12:33 min. by Margaret Mahy
- The Five Chinese Brothers Read Aloud - 8:46 min. by Claire Huchet Bishop
Middle School/High School:
1) Have learners read the poem,The Dash by Linda Ellis. Have them create a time line beginning with their birthdate and filling in with at least 6-10 important events up to now. Have them add at least three things they would like to have included in their ‘DASH’ from this point of their lives.
2) Idea Video: Use to process ‘Idea’ Concept Where Good Ideas Come From by Steven Johnson4:06 min.
One of our most innovative, popular thinkers takes on, in exhilarating style, one of our key questions: Where do good ideas come from?
- The Power Of TeamWork Good TeamWork 3:23 min. Multiple animated examples of cooperation to achieve a goal
- The video that will change your life 4:35 min. Shows example of how individuals choices influence those around them to work together to make a difference
- "You Raise Me Up" 1:30 min.
- **2015 Oscar Nominated** 3D Animated Shorts: "Sweet Cocoon" - by ESMAThe CGBros - 6:00 min. Two friends help caterpillar get into its cacoon
- Ants Teamwork animation - 3:16 min.
A single brain can't bounce different ideas off of each other. Each team member has a responsibility to contribute equally and offer their unique perspective on a problem to arrive at the best possible solution.
- Amazing Team Work 3:02 min. Dancers model teamwork
- Teamwork 1:30 min. Shows importance of giving credit for team effort
- Madagascar Penguins Best and funniest Team work 1:37 min.
- Team Work Motivational Video 2:11 min. Uses multiple famous quotes and photos to encourage working together.
- Wisdom of Geese 2:09 min.
- Inspirational Videos - This website has multiple very short videos modeling the living out of life principles in real life situations.
- Teamwork Consult - A cooperative structure for doing worksheets as a team
- Balloon Frantics - A team activity for building cooperation
- Members of the Body Balloon Activity - A team activity for building cooperation
- Cooperative Learning Strategies: A printable resource containing a variety of cooperative learning strategies
Cooperative learning is a successful teaching strategy in which small teams, each with students of different levels of ability, use a variety of learning activities to improve their understanding of a subject. Each member of a team is responsible not only for learning what is taught but also for helping teammates learn, thus creating an atmosphere of achievement. Students work through the assignment until all group members successfully understand and complete it.
- Elements of Cooperative Learning - Lists the characteristics of cooperative learning
- Cooperative Learning: Seventeen Pros and Seventeen Cons plus Ten Tips for Success Dr. Spencer Kagan
- Lessons and Strategies for Making a Difference
- Online Resource for Cooperative Learning materials: https://www.kaganonline.com
- Free Series of Articles by Dr. Kagan
- Cooperation Lesson Material - Integrated lesson materials for all curriculum areas, short stories, suggested reading lists, writing prompts, quotes, bulletin board ideas, parent outreach ideas, and involving people in the community
- Let's Cooperate - Resource that shares a definition, what cooperation looks like, criteria of a cooperative person, cooperation within a family and at school, and how to spread the idea of cooperation
- Let's Cooperate! Teachers Share Tips for Cooperative Learning!
Cooperation starts at the top! Teachers who use cooperative learning in their classrooms have developed techniques that make the most of this method-- and they share them. From forming groups to using rubrics, these ideas will make any lesson of a cooperative nature a little more fun!Included: Teacher tips, a rubric for grading students' cooperative efforts, and additional online resources!
- Cooperative Learning: Seventeen Pros and Seventeen Cons plus Ten Tips for Success - article by Dr. Spencer Kagan, Kagan Online Magazine
- Tips For Creating A Desire To Learn SmartBrief, Nov. 28, 2016
Through the clever use of analogies, the author guides educators through simple changes that can make dynamic changes in the classroom environment.
- Keys to Character by Polk County, Florida School District - includes character development lesson material for teachers and parents for the following Life Principles: Responsibility, Compassions, Citizenship, Patriotism, Cooperation, Tolerance, Respect, Honesty, Self-Control, and Kindness
- Elements of a Fable
- 19 Everyday Expressions That Came from Aesop
- Lesson Plans for Teaching Aesop's Fables - includes a wide variety of resources for teaching Aesop’s Fables.
- Mythweb - website with a variety of resources for teaching myths.
- Tips for Teachers for Myths Suggestions for activities in the classroom
- More Teaching Tips for Myths More Suggestions for activities in the classroom