Practice #4 Implementation Ideas
- Use graphic organizers, Mind Maps, etc. to help students make connections among ideas so they do not see these concepts as disconnected facts.
- “If teachers post peripheral displays on a topic a week before they actually cover the content, students begin to subconsciously embed the content and build a foundation for the upcoming lesson.” - Eric Jensen. (2003). Environments for Learning, San Diego: The Brain Store, 18
- Have a quote from the Life Principles written on the board as learners enter. Have them write a 3-5 sentence reflection applying the quote personally or to a current real life situation. Option: After a few minutes do a pair/share to allow for processing. i.e. Effort (printable) Definition - doing one’s best in an endeavor Quote Poster - “A man of words and not of deeds is like a garden full of weeds.” -English Proverb “We are never in the land of done.” --Dr. Thomas Dooley's letter to a young doctor
- Peace Corps Educator Resources - Lesson plans and other multiple resources searchable by grade level and subject. The Paul D. Coverdell World Wise Schools program fosters an understanding of other cultures and global issues by providing online educational resources based on the Peace Corps experience and facilitating communication among U.S. learners and current and returned Peace Corps Volunteers.
- Lessons for 21st Century Learners - an article sharing three ideas for fostering collaboration, critical thinking, communication, and creativity with easy-to-use apps and tools.
- Use available simulations such as https://www.stockmarketgame.org/ - An online simulation of the global capital markets that engages students grades 4-12 in the world of economics, investing and personal finance and that has prepared 16 million students for financially independent futures.
- https://www.learn4good.com/kids-games/simulation.htm - Learn 4 Good games site: Free simulation games online for kids to play now with no download: Online airplane games, helicopter flying simulation games, bridge building sim games, interactive educational games for children, RPG games for PC, Mac, iPad.
- Create a ‘travel guide’ using an applications such as www.canva.com. This app has both free and pay selections.
- Google Earth Education Resources - An abundance of resources including lessons, step-by-step guides, tutorials on Google Tools, etc. Use the filter to access all of the Tools such as:
- Explore Earth
- Google Earth - an interactive globe
- Tour Builder - an interactive storytelling tool that connects people to places using Google Maps and multimedia content.
- Street View - a 360 degree virtual walk to places around the world
- RealWorldMath.org - a collection of free math activities for Google Earth designed for students and educators
- On-Line Resource: Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants - A free resource for educators to bring scientists and other experts into any classroom “Exploring By The Seat Of Your Pants aims to inspire the next generation of scientists, explorers and conservationists. We do this by bringing science, exploration, adventure and conservation into classrooms through virtual speakers and field trips with leading experts across the globe. Since starting in September 2015 we've connected tens of thousands of students to scientists and explorers in over 40 countries. Best part of all, it is and always will be 100% free for classroom
This resource uses the Google Tool, Hangouts for the in-classroom field trips.
- Use Virtual Tours visiting famous museums, historic sites, and libraries. Presidential Libraries Virtual Tours - site giving links to the virtual tours
- Education Resources Archives - Lots of educational resources including lessons, access to original documents from the National Archives, online exhibits, and much more. https://www.docsteach.org
- Have a lesson on immigration and have a naturalized citizen come as a guest speaker. Have a student whose parents are immigrants speak and tie these experiences into current legislation.
- Send care packages/mail to soldiers stationed overseas.
- Involve learners in planning and participating in school or community service projects.
- Quick Classroom Stress Relievers for Teachers
- Secondary Example for Cross-Curriculum http://lessonplanspage.com/scientific-poetry-cross-curricular-lesson-plans/ - Resource for cross-curricular lesson plans in all subject areas and levels created by teachers
- 12 World-Class Museums You Can Visit Online | Mental Floss