Make it Happen Secondary
D.R.E.A.M. Process – Fifth Step
M – Make it happen!
To create a plan for carrying out a goal.
- Expectation #7: We will encourage each other to do our best.
Includes: Literature, Music, Videos, Vocabulary, Writing Prompts, and Activities
at three levels: Elementary - Middle School - High School
- Life Principle, Perseverance- Includes activities, quote posters, literature/poetry, and other resources at three levels: Elementary - Middle School - High School
- Quote: “Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision coupled with action can change the world.” --Joel Barker
- When You Wish Upon A Star with lyrics 3:49 min. Pre K - 2
- Hercules I Can Go the Distance 3:02 min. K-5
- Michael Bolton - Go The Distance 4:32 min.
- Go the Distance by Michael Bolton with lyrics 4:43 min.
- Desert Pete song by the Kingston Trio 2:43 min. Song with story about priorities
- Desert Pete Lyrics
- One Moment in Time by Whitney Houston 5:26 min. film clips from the Olympics
- One Moment in Time lyrics with Whitney Houston 5:56 min.
- One Moment in Time (Karoke) 4:45 min.
Technology Activity:Using their smart phones or iPads have students open their browser and search for ‘Top 10 Dream quote slide show’. It will take them to a slide show of these quotes.
For use with Smart Board, click on this address, Top 10 Michael Jordan Quotes
Ask them pick their favorite quote or two and enter in their journal or save in NOTES on their phone for future use.
Top 10 John Wooden Quotes
Top 10 Work Quotes
Use the C.R.O.S.S.ROADS™ Decision-making worksheet to work through the choice/s evident in any of the videos or stories below. Example: C.R.O.S.S.ROADS™ worksheet for Three Questions Story: Three Questions by Leo Tolstoy (Simplified Version)
2) Use the Five Step D.R.E.A.M. Checklist or the Five Step D.R.E.A.M. process with
Questions to identify any of the five D.R.E.A.M. steps in the videos or stories below. Discuss how these elements are evident.
- Big Tough Guy Has the Most UNEXPECTED Voice
- 12 year Old Boy Surprising Voice 5:36 min.
- 10 year old Girl Sings: Girl on Fire for The Voice Kids 2014
- "Famous Failures" 2:58 min.
- Make a Difference movie 8:36 min.
- The Three Questions is a short story by Russian author Leo Tolstoy first published in 1885 as part of the collection What Men Live By, and other tales. The story takes the form of a parable, and it concerns a king that wants to find the answers to what he considers the three most important questions in life.
- The Three Questions by Leo Tolstoy 7:51 min. Audio Learn Out Loud reading of this story
- Leo Tolstoy Biography narrated by his Daughter 30:45 min.
Apply Tolstoy’s Three Questions to the efforts of these youth.
- The Three Questions Poster - Printable poster with the Three Questions
2) Dream by Susan Bosak 10:16 min. Read Aloud All Ages
- Dream - Legacy Project - Resources for book, DREAMActivities for book, DREAM Free online guides and activities
- Dream by Susan Bosak "Dream" is a winner of 10 national awards: * International Reading Association Children's Choice -- 10,000 children across the country vote on the books they like best!
3) A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park – Video of book being read – 18 Chapters
Story of one of the Lost Boys of Sudan
- A Long Walk to Water copy of book with educational materials
- Author, Linda Sue Park - TED TALK - Can A Children's Book Change the World?
4) Real Life Examples: Power of Children
- POWER OF CHILDREN Award Winners - Brief descriptions of boys and girls across America who are making a difference in their communities and across the country.
- Ashley Slayton 2010 Power of Children Award Winner 1:43 min. One teenage girl making a difference.
- Madeline Cumbey Power of Children Award Winner 2:07 min. – 13 yr. old girl’s story
- Neha Gupta 2012 Power of Children Award Winner 2:30 min. 16 yr. old girl’s story
No Glass Ceiling, Just Blue Sky 3:48 min. by Marcy Blochowiak
- Have learners review and list the five D.R.E.A.M. process steps.
- Use this checklist to show how many of the five D-R-E-A-M. process steps are addressed in this book video, by successful entrepreneur, business leader, and author, Marcy Blochowiak
- Reference to “Big Rocks” in book
- Information about Marcy Blochowiak:
No Glass Ceilings, Just Blue Sky – In this book get ready to learn the secrets of success! This inspirational book is about daring to reach your life goals. This beautifully designed gift book is about removing "ceilings" and replacing them with "blue skies."
Miracle on Ice 1980 Olympics USA Hockey Team 1:55 min. This video is of the last minute of the history making Olympic Ice Hockey game between the Soviet Union and the United States. Following on this same website is an abbreviated story of this history of this event and why, it is considered to be a true ‘ miracle’.
MIRACLE ON ICE–The Story of the 1980 USA Ice Hockey Team Win Over Russia
1980 USA Hockey Team Story 43:48 min. Story told by the actual people
There is a movie, Miracle on Ice, available.
Below are some scenes from YouTube:
- You Were Born For This - Herb Brooks' Pregame Speech in Miracle on Ice - 5:41 min.
- Miracle - The Name on the Front More Important than the Name on the Back 3:57 min. Clip from movie – Coach is trying to get the players to see they are a team not just individuals.
- Miracle on Ice Documentary 32:36 min. Gives insightful historical background on world events at the time of this game.
What had to be done to accomplish this ‘Miracle’?
Address sacrifices, effort, attitude, etc.
Make A Difference Day - Start a project! Make it happen!
Journal Reflection: (Select One)
Have learners draw or write for 3-5 minutes about:
What do you think William Shakespeare meant when he said,
“It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.” ?
It is within me to…