“Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are of capable of being.”
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (printable posters)
Character is an important step in transforming the learning environment. These tools provide learners with a new ‘script’ that can bring about changes in behaviors and attitudes that affect the learning environment.
Objective: To analyze character with literature and life events through the lens of the Eight Expectations for Living,the Life Principles, and creeds.
- Character 1 - Definition poster with green life principle border
- Character 2 - Definition poster with black/white definition poster
- Character 3 - Definition poster with no border
- Quotes on Character - 8 quote posters
- Life Principles - online resource materials for 36 life principles (See menu on right for links to expanded material)
- Life Principle Mind Map - general mind map for any life principle
- Life Principle Mind Map for the School Environment - a mind map for applying any of the life principles in the school environment
- Life Application Lessons for Life Principles - 3 strategies for applying a life principle
- Creeds - Quotes, mind map, lessons, examples, research, and other resources
- Eight Expectations for Living: All Eight Expectations address behavior supporting Character Education. Resources include printable posters of each of the 8 Expectation, a printable quote, and sections for literature, vocabulary, music and videos, an introductory activity, a cooperative structure, sign language, self-reflection, celebrations, and a brain break. Each allows for selection of appropriate grade level material: Elementary, Middle, and High School.
- Hand Signs for Eight Expectations - FREE Digital Download Task Cards - A PROACTIVE CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT TOOL! - 8 Sign Language Task Cards for the 8 Expectations for Living with supporting documents. Sign language hand signs include: Friend, Respect, Please, Thank you, Cheer, Help, Applaud, Encourage, and Practice
- Expectation #8 - We will practice virtuous living using the Life Principles. - Expanded resources at three levels: High School Middle School Elementary
- Creating Positive Dialogue by Redirecting with Quotes - Examples of alternate dialogue using quotes and printable quote posters
CHARACTER LITERATURE RESOURCES:
- Strategies: Each of the Eight Expectations for Living and expanded Life Principles have multiple literature resources including lesson plans.
- Analyze any literature selection using: ‘Hand’y Curriculum Connections Page One, Page Two - graphic organizer - a strategy for analyzing what life principles and/or Eight Expectations for Living are evident in any piece of literature.
- Hand'y Curriculum Connections - Digital download
- Short Stories: (Any piece of literature may be used.)