Marvin Berkowitz , Ph.D. Sanford N. McDonnell Professor of Character Education
“Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are of capable of being.”
Character is an important step in transforming the learning environment. These tools provide learners with a new ‘script’ that can bring about changes in behaviors and attitudes that affect the learning environment.
Objective: To analyze character with literature and life events through the lens of the Eight Expectations for Living,the Life Principles, and creeds.
- Character 1 - Definition poster with green life principle border
- Character 2 - Definition poster with black/white definition poster
- Character 3 - Definition poster with no border
- Quotes on Character - 8 quote posters
- Life Principles - online resource materials for 36 life principles (See menu on right for links to expanded material)
- Life Principle Mind Map - general mind map for any life principle
- Life Principle Mind Map for the School Environment - a mind map for applying any of the life principles in the school environment
- Life Application Lessons for Life Principles - 3 strategies for applying a life principle
- Creeds - Quotes, mind map, lessons, examples, research, and other resources
- Eight Expectations for Living: All Eight Expectations address behavior supporting Character Education. Resources include printable posters of each of the 8 Expectation, a printable quote, and sections for literature, vocabulary, music and videos, an introductory activity, a cooperative structure, sign language, self-reflection, celebrations, and a brain break. Each allows for selection of appropriate grade level material: Elementary, Middle, and High School.
- Hand Signs for Eight Expectations - FREE Digital Download Task Cards - A PROACTIVE CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT TOOL! - 8 Sign Language Task Cards for the 8 Expectations for Living with supporting documents.
Sign language hand signs include:
Friend, Respect, Please, Thank you, Cheer, Help, Applaud, Encourage, and Practice
- Expectation #8 - We will practice virtuous living using the Life Principles. - Expanded resources at three levels:
- Creating Positive Dialogue by Redirecting with Quotes - Examples of alternate dialogue using quotes and printable quote posters
CHARACTER LITERATURE RESOURCES:
- Strategies: Each of the Eight Expectations for Living and expanded Life Principles have multiple literature resources including lesson plans.
- Analyze any literature selection using: ‘Hand’y Curriculum Connections Page One, Page Two - graphic organizer - a strategy for analyzing what life principles and/or Eight Expectations for Living are evident in any piece of literature.
- Hand'y Curriculum Connections - Digital download
- Short Stories: (Any piece of literature may be used.)
- Videos: - See each of the individual expanded Eight Expectations and Life Principles for additional videos.