Through the use of:
- Quotes and Proverbs -
- Display posters for easy visual reference.
- When introducing, teach the meaning and discuss how to apply it in real-life situations. For educational settings, see Life Principle Mind Map for the School Environment.
- Use a pair share discussion first and then have members journal briefly on the meaning and general and personal application.
- Have the group or individuals create a quote/proverb notebook to use as a reference.
- When possible, give background on the author or offer opportunity for members to bring background information to the group.
- As appropriate use to redirect individual or group behavior.
- Suggestion: Make it a procedure to have the members end the quote once you begin it. This makes sure they are engaged and reinforces it in their memory. This strategy may be used as a callback, to refocus after an activity or the beginning of new instruction.
Examples: (green links are to printable posters of the quotes)
|Old Dialogue||New Dialogue|
“Fighting gets you nowhere!”
“Name calling just isn’t allowed in here!”
|“We must all live together as brothers or perish alone as fools.” - Martin Luther King Jr.
“If it is not right, do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”- Marcus Aurelius
“I will speak ill of no man and speak the good I know of everybody.” - Benjamin Franklin
|“Please finish your work. It’s due at the end of class today!”||
“No bees, No honey, No work, No money.” Author Unknown
“If a task is once begun, never leave it till it’s done. Be the labor great or small, do it well or not at all. --Author Unknown
|“ All right, quit your talking!”||“If we were supposed to talk more than we listen, we would have two mouths and one ear.” --Mark Twain|
|“I can’t do this! It’s too hard.”||
“The right angle to approach a difficult problem is the TRY-angle.” - Author Unknown
Take the 't' off of can't and say, "I CAN!" - Author Unknown
|“This isn’t very good; I was in a hurry.”
||“Be satisfied with nothing less than your best.” - Edward Rowland Sill|
|“ I just can’t get it right. I always make mistakes.”||
“100 mistakes is an education if you learn from every one.” — Author Unknown
“Mistakes are stepping stones to success.” — Author Unknown
|“If you’d just learn to work together, it would get done a lot faster.”||
"If we don't all row the boat won't go." Author Unknown
For more Life Principle quotes: (printable posters)
Quotes about COMPASSION
Quotes about COOPERATION
Great Expectations Life Principles - Includes life principle definition posters and one quote poster for each of 36 life principles