Practice Six – Implementation Ideas
Practice #6 Implementation Ideas
- Building a Culture of Respect, Trust, and Success - research and supporting strategies
- Strategies for Respect - Multiple strategies for creating a positive classroom environment
- Motivate Learners by Building a Dream/Vision - This piece addresses the Importance of using the Power of Vision for setting goals based on the foundation of the Great Expectations tenets.
- Creating Positive Dialogue by Redirecting with Quotes - Strategies for the use of quotes including a variety of practical examples and printable quote posters
- Procedure for Designating Time for Formal or Casual Speech Example
- Quick Classroom Stress Relievers for Teachers
- The First 2 to 6 MInutes of Class - 10 Ideas for beginning class
- Attributes Inventory - document to be used in developing an inventory of a community’s qualities, skills, talents, and resources.
- Creeds - Examples and How-to’s, quotes, and other strategies
- Strategies for Pairing Learners ; Strategies 4x4 Task cards
- Whole Group Discussion
- Life Principle Mind Map for the School Environment - a mind map applying any of the life principles in the school environment
- Life Application Lessons for Life Principles
- Display a quote from the Life Principles on the board as learners enter. Have them write a 3-5 sentence reflection applying the quote personally or to a current real life situation. Option: After a few minutes do a pair/share to allow for processing. i.e. Effort - link to effort life principle resources Definition - doing one’s best in an endeavor (Printable poster)Quote Poster - “A man of words and not of deeds is like a garden full of weeds.” -English Proverb
Quote: “We are never in the land of done.”
--Dr. Thomas Dooley's letter to a young doctor
- Great Teamwork video - 1:16 min. - Short video demonstrating teamwork. Follow with discussion/writing about what characteristics had to be in place to accomplish the end result.
- Good Teamwork and Bad Teamwork 3:20 min. – Shows first an example of Bad Teamwork and then a couple of Good Teamwork
- Cooperative Learning
- QFT - Question Formulation Technique (quick guide) - The purpose of this guide is to give you a quick overview of the Question Formulation Technique™ (QFT™) and to provide you with an outline you can use to experience the question formulation process. The process uses cooperative groups to formulate questions and outcomes on an assigned topic. For a comprehensive description and analysis of how to use the Question Formulation Technique™ in the classroom, see, Make Just One Change Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions - Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana, Foreword by Wendy D. Puriefoy,2011, Harvard Education Press.
- Fish Bowl Strategy - May be used for introducing new content or reviewing.
- Inside the Fishbowl: A Tool for Student Discussions - Strategy for learners to research and discuss major current events happening in our world. Article from ‘Ideas from the Field’ in ASCD Express
- Tools for Making and Using Rubrics - 3 Sources for ready-to-use rubrics as well as a tool for creating your own.
- G.E. Implementation Rubric - Contains a rubric for all 17 Practices
- Student Management Songs and Chants - Elementary
- Hands and Verbal/Non-verbal Class Management Procedures
- Sign language for Practice 6 vocabulary
- Hand Signs for Eight Expectations - Free Digital Download
Task Cards - A PROACTIVE CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT TOOL! - 8 Sign Language Task Cards for the 8 Expectations for Living with supporting documents. Sign language hand signs Include: Friend, Respect, Please, Thank you, Cheer, Help, Applaud, Encourage, and Practice
- One Minute Feedback 4x4 - task card with three self-reflection questions
- Self-reflection Strategies - includes reflection writing stems, poster, a One-Minute Feedback strategy, tips for journaling etc. - All Age Levels
- Tips for Motivation and Encouragement - Includes Magic Triad, tips for recognizing effort, and celebrations
- C.R.O.S.S.ROADS Decision-making Worksheet - Five step process for problem-solving, general decision-making, goal setting, and conflict resolution.
- Complete set of Goal Setting Process Explanation, Forms and Examples for all grade levels
- Socratic Questioning Resources
- Designing Effective Projects: Questioning The Socratic Questioning Technique - explanation of the Socratic questioning technique
- Socratic Question Stems - Question stem examples for all levels (single page format)
- Socratic Question Stems Mini Booklet - Foldable Mini Booklet Format
- Mini Booklet Directions - How-to instructions for making the booklet
- Socratic Questions Cube - Question stem examples on a foldable cube for use in Socratic Questioning Strategies
- Socratic Questioning Learning Strategies - Learning Strategies for use with the Socratic Sheet, Booklet, and Cube
- Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy Question Resources
- Bloom's Taxonomy - an explanation and comparison between the original and revised taxonomies.
- Revised Bloom's Taxonomy Questions - Questions stems for all levels (single page format)
- Bloom's Question Stems Booklet - Foldable Mini Booklet Format
- Mini Booklet Directions - How-to instructions for making the booklet
- Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy Cube - Question stems on a foldable cube for use with Revised Bloom’s Questioning Learning Strategies.
- Revised Bloom’s Questioning Learning Strategies - 4 Learning Strategies for use with the Revised Bloom’s Sheet, Booklet, and Cube
- Six Question Cube - Question Cube with the six basic questions, Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How.
- Six Question Learning Strategies
- Six Questions Stems Sheet
- Sign Language for Question Stems - Add a nonverbal component using official sign language
- Music Videos for Practice 5 and Question Stems Songs - Includes some songs in Spanish
- What Questions Did You Ask Today? 3:55 min. Excellent video giving basic questions about asking questions.
- Question Game 4x4 Task Card
- Open and Closed Questions
- ‘Hand’y Curriculum Connections Page One, Page Two - graphic organizer incorporate the six questions to analyze any piece of literature/curriculum content Hand'y Curriculum Connections - Digital download
- Learning Strategies - a variety of instructional activities
- Strategies for Adding Novelty and Interest to Instruction
- Lesson Strategies for Enthusiasm
- Music for the classroom - List of active music links to videos for use in the Classroom
- Celebration - Fun quick celebrations for effort
- Celebration Cards Set One (1-24) Digital download
- Celebration Cards Set Two (24-48) Digital download
- Brain Break - Elementary
Brain Break - High School - contains links to lists of online Brain Breaks
- https://leadasap.ysa.org/ - This is a website for introducing service projects for youth; has ideas, how to start, a pledge, and a way to share the project online.
- http://www.volunteennation.org/ - This is an organization created by teens to provide a database of volunteer opportunities.
VolunTEENnation Ambassadors convene and organize youth in their community to promote service and to collectively engage youth to drive change. As a volunTEENnation Ambassador, you will bring creativity and energy to your community to maximize the power of youth to make a difference. We'll help you engage your friends and family, inspire those around you to take action, and guide and encourage you to meet with political, non-profit and business leaders in your community to discuss how they can help support youth to tackle and problem-solve challenges communities face.
- Problem-solving Resources Elem and MS/HS - Songs, Videos, Websites, Links to supplementary material within the GE website, and Other Materials
- Curiosity Resources - contains material for both Elementary and Middle/High School - Songs, Videos, Websites, Links to supplementary material within the GE website, and Other Materials
- Use graphic organizers, Mind Maps, etc. to help students make connections among ideas so they do not see these concepts as disconnected facts.
- Britannica Learn Resources - Terrific Resource!!!! Scroll down to a variety of sections in different content areas - i.e. Britannica School Classroom Materials contains an abundance of free graphic organizer tools which are downloadable and may be filled in on the computer by learners.
- Resource for a Variety of Printable Graphic Organizers English and Spanish versions
- “If teachers post peripheral displays on a topic a week before they actually Cover the content, students begin to subconsciously embed the content and build a foundation for the upcoming lesson.” - Eric Jensen. (2003). Environments for Learning, San Diego: The Brain Store, 18
- Lessons for 21st Century Learners - an article sharing three ideas for fostering collaboration, critical thinking, communication and creativity with easy-to-use apps and tools.
- Secondary Example for Cross-Curriculum http://lessonplanspage.com/scientific-poetry-cross-curricular-lesson-plans/ - Resource for cross-curricular lesson plans in all subject areas and levels created by teachers
- Google Earth Education Resources - An abundance of resources including lessons, step-by-step guides, tutorials on Google Tools, etc. Use the filter to access all of the Tools such as:
- Explore Earth
- Google Earth - an interactive globe
- Tour Builder - an interactive storytelling tool that connects people to places using Google Maps and multimedia content.
- Street View - a 360 degree virtual walk to places around the world
- RealWorldMath.org - a collection of free math activities for Google Earth designed for students and educators
- On-Line Resource: Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants - A free resource for educators educators to bring scientists and other experts into any classroom
“Exploring By The Seat Of Your Pants aims to inspire the next generation of scientists, explorers and conservationists. We do this by bringing science, exploration, adventure and conservation into classrooms through virtual speakers and field trips with leading experts across the globe. Since starting in September 2015 we've connected tens of thousands of students to scientists and explorers in over 40 countries. Best part of all, it is and always will be 100% free for classrooms!” http://www.exploringbytheseat.com/lessons/
This resource uses the Google Tool, Hangouts for the in-classroom field trips.
- Use Virtual Tours visiting famous museums, historic sites, and libraries. Presidential Libraries Virtual Tours - site giving links to the virtual tours
- Education Resources Archives - Lots of educational resources including lessons, access to original documents from the National Archives, online exhibits, and much more.
- 12 World-Class Museums You Can Visit Online | Mental Floss