Expectations Eight – Middle School
Quote: “Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching.” - C. S. Lewis
Teacher: Hold yourself to a higher standard
Students: Than anyone else expects of you
Hand Sign for Expectation #8
Use sign for Practice: Palm down ‘A’;
brush back and forth on left index.
"Point of Light"** Lyrics Randy Travis 3:37 min
"One Voice" lyrics video** 2:49 min.
."I Was Here"** 3:44. min. Lyrics
"Integrity"** 30 sec.
"Basketball"** 1:00 min. - Sportsmanship
"A Boiled Seed Cannot Sprout"- Author Unknown
"The Knights of the Silver Shield" - Raymond M. Alden, Moral Compass, William Bennett, p. 255-260
"The Rabbi and The Pearl" by Rabbi Fred Davidow
"The Habit Poem" -Author Unknown "The Habit Poem"
"The Life Heroic" - Author Unknown, The Moral Compass, William Bennett, p. 360
"The Question" - Author Unknown
LEXICON: Complete at least three.
- Define the word.
- What do you notice about the word.
a. # of letters
b. # of consonants, vowels
- Create a math problem with the #’s.
- Use the word in a meaningful sentence.
- Write all parts of speech for the word.
- Analyze for root word, prefixes, suffixes.
Word Wall Vocabulary: virtuous
Note: Reference Lexicon Resource
Vocabulary (P 8,11)
Review the Life Principles that have been introduced with each of the Eight Expectations. Using a Pair Share Structure, brainstorm at least 5 additional Life Principles that would apply to Integrity. Write each on a post-it note and place on the board. Remove duplicates to create a master list..
What is Integrity?
- Divide the students into groups of 3-5.
- View the "Basketball" or "Integrity" video.
- Have each group select 3 Life Principles from the Vocabulary activity display and use them in discussion to find at least one supporting detail in the video story relating to the question, “What is Integrity?”
- Designate a reporter from each group to summarize their findings.
Cooperative Learning Structure
Pair Share: (P 3,5,6)
- If students are seated on floor: Designate ‘elbow buddies’.
- If students are seated at tables: Assign table partner.
- If students are standing: Have students walk around and on a designated signal, find a partner near them. Those students without a partner raise their hands and find one.
- Have pairs share with each other, then with other pairs, other teams, or the entire group.
Writing Prompt: What question can you ask yourself to determine if you are making a integrity-based decision?
Extension: Have students write on a 3x5 card, post, and discuss.
Some of the online videos have brief advertisements attached at the beginning that may be inappropriate for viewing by students and need to be cued before showing.