“How the Animals Got Sunlight” Children’s Book of Heroes by William Bennett, p. 50-55
LEXICON: Complete at least three.
- Define the word.
- What do you notice about the word.
a. # of letters
b. # of consonants, vowels
- Create a math problem with the #’s.
- Use the word in a meaningful sentence.
- Write all parts of speech for the word.
- Analyze for root word, prefixes, suffixes.
Word Wall Vocabulary: persist,
Vocabulary (P 8,11)
Using classroom vocabulary words students will stand and extend arms upward for consonants and do leg lifts for vowels.
Simple puzzles appropriate for level
Create groups of 3-5 students. Distribute one puzzle to each group and divide the number of pieces equally between group members. Process with the students specific ways they could encourage each other.
On ‘Go’ each group is to work together to complete their puzzle.
Upon completion use Pair Share to summarize how they encouraged each other to do their best.
Pair Share: (P 3,5,6)
- If students are seated on floor: Designate ‘elbow buddies’.
- If students are seated at tables: Assign table partner.
- If students are standing: Have students walk around and on a designated signal, find a partner near them. Those students without a partner raise their hands and find one.
- Have pairs share with each other, then with other pairs, other teams, or the entire group.
Create a Treasure Chest of Encouragement (i.e. Decorated shoe box) Give students a half sheet of white paper and instruct them to illustrate or write one way to encourage others. Have each student present their idea and put it in the chest to be drawn when encouragement is needed. Option: Post in designated location for use and reflection as Wall of Encouragement.
Some of the online videos have brief advertisements attached at the beginning that may be inappropriate for viewing by students and need to be cued before showing.