Expectation Six – Middle School
Life Principle: EFFORT
- Doing one’s best in an endeavor
Quote: "If better is possible, then good is not enough. Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin
Teacher: “Well done is better”
Students: “Than well said.”
Hand Sign for Expectation #6
Use sign for Applaud:
Clap several times quickly while hands move forward.
"The Wind Beneath My Wings"** Bette Midler, 4:59 min. Lyrics
"The HERO"** Mariah Carey, 4:23 min. Lyrics
"Make A Difference"** story 6:47 min.
Encouragement & gratitude** 1 min.
"The Crow and the Pitcher", Aesop’s Fable
"John Smith at Jamestown", Moral Compass by William Bennett, p. 401-404
"Learning to Dance in the Rain" -Vivian Greene, Quote Patrick Henry Hughes Story** 6:32 min.
"Dare to Be" by Steve Maraboli "Dare to Be"
"Our Heroes", by Pheobe Cary, The Children’s Book of Heroes, William Bennett
"Mr. Meant-To", Author Unknown, The Book of Virtues, William Bennett p. 364
LEXICON: Complete at least three.
- Define the word.
- What do you notice about the word.
a. # of letters
b. # of consonants, vowels
- Create a math problem with the #’s.
- Use the word in a meaningful sentence.
- Write all parts of speech for the word.
- Analyze for root word, prefixes, suffixes.
Word Wall Vocabulary: endeavor
Note: Reference Lexicon Resource
Vocabulary (P 8,11)
“Effort in Action”
Brainstorm words that describe how effort looks, sounds, and feels. In pairs create a list of 10 words that describe effort.
Join another pair, share lists, and add any new words. Join another group of 4 and repeat. The end result will be a list to be posted in the room for use and reflection.
'Our Personal Best' Poster
2.5 x 2.5” Sticky notes
Poster or large sheet of chart paper
Distribute a sticky note to every student. As a class or in groups brainstorm potential talents or services they might contribute toward a meaningful project. Have each write their name and a talent or service on their note and post it on the prepared poster.
Allow time to share with their Pair Share partner.
Extension: Plan a Make A Difference Day
Celebrate everyone’s effort!
Cooperative Learning Structure
Pair Share: (P 3,5,6)
- If students are seated on floor: Designate ‘elbow buddies’.
- If students are seated at tables: Assign table partner.
- If students are standing: Have students walk around and on a designated signal, find a partner near them. Those students without a partner raise their hands and find one.
- Have pairs share with each other, then with other pairs, other teams, or the entire group.
Have students journal or illustrate their talent or service. Include writing a prediction of the impact it might have on others.
Some of the online videos have brief advertisements attached at the beginning that may be inappropriate for viewing by students and need to be cued before showing.