- Teaching Good Citizenship's Five Themes - Education World Article explores strategies for teaching the five themes of good Citizenship: Honesty, compassion, respect, responsibility, and courage. There are separate activities for K-1, Grades 2-3, and Grades 4, 5, and 6.
- Social Studies Citizenship Unit - - a six-lesson unit - This Social Studies Unit is intended for 2nd grade, although it may be altered for other grades. This Citizenship Unit would be most beneficial if it were taught at the beginning of the year as a means of promoting and encouraging citizenship in the classroom, school, and community throughout the year. Includes all resources including videos.
- The Fred Factor - 3:18 min. - addresses how one person can make a real difference every day using basic principles: responsibility, honesty, self-discipline, altruism(caring), respect. Adaptable for use with middle and high school students.
- How to Become a U.S. Citizenship - 10 Steps to Naturalization: Understanding the Process of Becoming a U.S. Citizen
- Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island Foundation, Inc. - Multiple resources
- Statue of Liberty History
- Ellis Island History
- Good Citizen Jack by Christy Sheffield - Children’s book with full-page color illustrations. Good Citizen Jack gives the view of how a grade school boy adapts to his family’s move to Hawai and how he learns about citizenship in the bargain.
- List of Books for Children about Citizenship - Variety of books about citizenship including becoming a citizen, becoming a change-maker, etc.
- We Live Here Too!: Kids Talk About Good Citizenship by Nancy Loewen An award-winning introduction to good citizenship. Using real-life experiences and advice column-style writing, this nonfiction picture book defines citizenship and explains how it can be demonstrated or used in daily situations
- The Island of the Skog by Steven Kellogg
- MS/ HS
Additional GE Resources:
Videos: All Grade Levels
- "Everyday People" - 6:05 min. Reba McEntire & Co
- Kind-Hearted Hand 2:22 min. All Ages Kind-Hearted Hand was written by Peter Seltser, a visionary artist who believes in a better world. The song was performed by the children of KIDS for PEACE, a global non-profit that is working to uplift our world through love and action.
- "Count Me In" 2:19 min. Lower Elementary
- "Lean on Me" song video 2:56 min.
- "The School Song"** By Glenn Colton 4:40 min.
- "Random Act of Kindness"** 3:27 min.
- “Earth: We're In It Together” 2:43 min. with lyrics PreK – 5th
- “The Earth Song” 4:59 min. by Nick Kello - Site includes printed lyrics
- "Heroes and Friends" by Randy Travis 3:15 min.
- "Heroes" by Paul Overstreet 4:27 min.
- "MY HERO" - Mariah Carey 4:23 min.
- "The Power of One" 4:15 min.
- "We Are The World" 7:11 min.
- "We're All In This Together" 4:43 min.
- “ We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands” 2:21 min. - Official Music Video for one of DARIA's Earth Day CD songs: We've Got The Whole World In Our Hands Great for Earth Day!
- “We've Got the Whole World In Our Hands” 3:13 min. with lyrics