Qft Lesson -
Developing the Life Principle: COMPASSION
#1) Life Principle
#2) Key Ideas
- We can choose to show compassion in our attitudes and actions. (Choices Materials)
- We can help others, sharing our talents and supporting their ideas.
- We will strive to act in a compassionate manner to all.
- Break the word into pieces
- Sound out the word
- Find the root word
- Select synonyms that support
Sign Language for Compassion: Start with’C’ at heart, then ‘5-hands. Move forward with middle finger slightly bent at knuckle Sign video for compassion or sympathy
#4) Describing the Process
- What would compassion look like, sound like, feel like?
- Use web-graphic to describe “compassion”, and using complete sentences add supporting details.
#5) Introduce the Question Focus
State topic for questions. QFT – Question Formulation Technique “Our Question Focus for this lesson is about Compassion.
- 7th Graders Question Social Dynamics in Literature, and in Their Own Lives - Classroom Example of Process
#6) Produce the Questions
Materials needed: white paper and markers Allow about 10 minutes
- Ask as many questions as you can.
- Change any statements into questions.
- Write down every question as it is stated.
- Do not stop to discuss, judge, or answer the questions.
#7) Improve Questions
1. Identify open and closed ended questions 2. Change questions: select one question to change from open to closed-ended and one closed questions to open-ended. Allow 4-8 minutes.
#8) Prioritize Questions
State lesson plan criteria/guidelines and ask learners to identify 2-3 questions they think are most important. Allow 10-20 minutes Group Share Out: Have each group share their rationale for choosing priority questions. Allow about 10 minutes.
#9) Discuss Next Steps
“What are we going to do with these questions?” (Whole Group Discussion – outcome to align with lesson objectives.) Sample: What behaviors support Compassion?
Individual and Group Reflection: Ask a topic related question for learners to reflect upon briefly in writing about what they have learned. Discuss and report in small or whole group. Sample: “What does Compassion look like for us?”