Below is a sampling of the resource materials that may be used to identify and evaluate the use of the life principle.
It is suggested that evidence of this life principle or the lack of it may be found in many writings, films, videos, etc. It is recommended for learners to be engaged in a continuous search for life principle connections as part of the critical thinking process.
Tool for Evaluating Components of Types of Media:
- "We Are The World" 7:11 min.
- Look Through My Eyes with lyrics 4:02 min.
- "Everyday People" sung by Reba McEntire 3:25 min.
- Change the World 3:24 min.
- "Heroes and Friends" by Randy Travis 3:15 min.
- Kind-Hearted Hand 2:22 min. All Ages Kind-Hearted Hand was written by Peter Seltser, a visionary artist who believes in a better world. The song was performed by the children of KIDS for PEACE, a global non-profit that is working to uplift our world through love and action.
- "Point of Light" Randy Travis 3:37 min.
- "Power in Me" 3:56 min.
- GLEE- LEAN ON ME! with lyrics 4:18 min.
- Divide students into groups of four. Brainstorm major crisis situations such as Hurricane Katrina, the 2010 earthquake in Haiti, etc. and have each group select one for their project. Through the use the internet they are to find articles or stories of people modeling compassionate acts to other people during these times. Allow them to select a method of presentation of their findings to the class. (Suggest use of the QFT Questioning Technique cooperative groups strategy in their groups)
- Brainstorm ideas for showing compassion in their school / community using a web ( Images for mind map template ). In groups or as a class develop one or more of the ideas including creating a plan, assigning roles, responsibilities and creating a timeline for completion .
- Discussion: (Whole class or group)
Select a recent news story that includes a tragedy and a compassionate response.
1) How do tragedies often bring out the best in people?
2) Why do you think this is or isn't so?
Be specific with examples.
- Inspire my Kids - Example of Act of Compassion by Young Girl - real life example, articles, worksheets
- Make a Difference - Website with stories of real students making a difference - special section for educators with sections on how to get started, lesson plans, stories, resources
- Benjamin Franklin Challenge – Individual or group challenge
Middle School / High School:
- The Book of Virtues: William J . Bennett - Purchase site for book with a whole section on Compassion Letter of Consolation by Abraham Lincoln < u > & nbsp; < /u>
- Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor—A Newberry winning story about a boy and the abused dog he saves. Compassion, right and wrong, truth and falsehood — all are themes.
- Shiloh Literature Unit
- Sarah Bishop by Scott O 'Dell —An Indian couple and a young Quaker befriend Sarah Bishop. Sarah Bishop Literature Unit - activities, vocabulary, quizzes, and more
- The Story of My Childhood: Clara Barton : Free Download ... The book recounts her life growing up on a farm in Oxford, Massachusetts, as the youngest of ten children and recalls two formative experiences that shaped her later work: nursing her brother David back to health after he was seriously injured in an accident, and becoming an elementary-school teacher at age 17.
- The Inspirational Video Everyone Should Live By ► AmazingLife247 - 3:21 min. - video showing example of compassion being lived out - multi-cultural
- The Apple Stand ' Caring ' Pass it On commercial | Values.com 1:28 min. - Poignant example of compassion
- Heartwarming Thai Good Stories 3:05 min. 3rd - 12th
- What is Compassion? 4:16 min. - video created to share the meaning of compassion to students
- Inspirational Videos - This website has multiple very short videos modeling the living out of life principles in real life situations.
- Human: The Circle of Compassion - 1:57 min. by Abby Lammers - A student created presentation about what it means to be human
- Compassion - Lesson plans, vocabulary, stories, parent materials, bulletin board ideas, suggested reading lists, quotes, website resources
- Compassion II - Lesson plans, vocabulary, stories, parent materials, bulletin board ideas, suggested reading lists, quotes, website resources
- “Kindness Challenge” Lesson Plan Grade 6 - Grade 8 - The Honey ... Series of lesson plans for implementing a Kindness challenge program. Classroom Resources and Project Ideas
- Keys to Character by Polk County, Florida School District - includes character development lesson material for teachers and parents for the following Life Principles: Responsibility, Compassions, Citizenship, Patriotism, Cooperation, Tolerance, Respect, Honesty, Self-Control, and Kindness
- Lesson on Fables - lesson plan for Grade 7 English Language Arts – maybe adapted for other grade levels
- 19 Everyday Expressions That Came from Aesop
- Aesop Fable Learning Strategies
- Lesson Plans for Teaching Aesop' s Fables - includes a wide variety of resources for teaching Aesop’s Fables.
- Mythweb - website with a variety of resources for teaching myths.
- Tips for Teachers for Myths Suggestions for activities in the classroom
- More Teaching Tips for Myths More Suggestions for activities in the classroom
- 8 Ways to Teach Compassion to Kids - Article about strategies for teaching compassion