Elementary Resources for Cooperation
Elementary Resources for Cooperation
Below is a sampling of the resource materials that may be used to identify and evaluate the use of the life principle.
It is suggested that evidence of this life principle or the lack of it may be found in many writings, films, videos, etc. It is recommended for learners to be engaged in a continuous search for life principle connections as part of the critical thinking process.
Tool for Evaluating Components of Types of Media:
- "We Are the World"** 7:11 min. Lyrics video
We are the World Printable lyrics
- "We're All In This Together" 4:43 min.
- "Everyday People" - 6:05 min. Reba McEntire & Co
- Lean on Me** 4:21 min. Lyrics
- Westlife - You Raise Me Up 4:03 min. video of lyrics for song
- You Raise Me Up - Chinese Boy and Girl 4:03 min.
- Reba McEntire and Carol King - Everyday People - YouTube 6:06 min.
- Everything is Awesome Lyrics - YouTube - 2:48 min.
Lyrics for Everyone is Awesome!!
Pre K - 1
- The More We Get Together - Kids Songs video with lyrics 3:45 min.
- The More We Get Together - YouTube 1:31 min.
- The More We Get Together - YouTube 1:00 min. using Sign Language
- Jack Johnson - The Sharing Song (lyrics) 2:55 min.
All Grade Levels:
- The Seven Chinese Brothers - Read Aloud - 12:33 min. by Margaret Mahy
- The Five Chinese Brothers Read Aloud - 8:46 min. by Claire Huchet Bishop
Pre K - 2
- "Mushroom in the Rain" by Mirra Ginsburg - source for purchasing
Caught out in the rain, an ant takes shelter under a very tiny mushroom. Soon, a wet butterfly, then a drenched mouse, a dripping sparrow, and even a rain-soaked rabbit each beg to join him under his miniature umbrella. How can the ant let the others in when there is barely room enough for one? But as the rain comes down and down, they all somehow manage to squeeze together and share the tiny shelter. And when the sun finally comes out, the ant discovers a magical secret of just what happens to mushrooms in the rain!
- Mushroom in the Rain - YouTube 3:06 min. audio of the book
- Mushroom in the Rain - Open Court Resources.com - Play script - Readers' Theater
- Mushroom in the Rain Play Printable Play Script
- Mushroom In The Rain Study Guide - Open Court Resources.com
- Mushroom in the Rain -- retold by Mirra Ginsburg - Mr. Batten's 2nd ... text of story to aid in the comprehension
- A Mushroom Literacy Theme - Pre K Lesson
- A Collection of Books on Cooperation PreK-1
- Book List for Elementary - Cooperation
- Kindergarten Must Read Books about Cooperation
- Zinnia And Dot - YouTube 8:09 min. Read Aloud of book
by Lisa Campbell Ernst – A cute book about two hens who don't like each other and compete on who is better and can make the best eggs. They never got along, but when something goes wrong they lose all but one egg. The hens then have to work together to care for the egg despite not liking each other. They find they are both very brave and have much to appreciate with each other.
- Zinnia and Dot Lesson Plan
- Activities - Lisa Campbell Ernst - Scroll down to Zinnia and Dot - printable pop-up card activity
- Zinnia and Dot Reinforcing activity
- Stone Soup
- Stone Soup - YouTube 10:13 min. - Read Aloud of Marcia Brown Book with text - Setting in France
- Stone Soup 6:47 min. video - Read Aloud of book by Jon Muth Setting in Asia
- Stone Soup by Jon J. Muth Text of book, Introductory Details
- Stone Soup by Jon J. Muth Lesson plans and teaching aids Multiple links to lesson plans including
- 1000+ ideas about Stone Soup on Pinterest | Study Methods
PreK - 2:
- Stone Soup - Read Along Fairy Tale 3:16 min. Pre-K-2
- Stone Soup Song – 3:36 min. - Video uses nursery rhyme characters. Has text of song.
- Stone Soup: A Lesson in Sharing | Scholastic
- Stone Soup - DLTK-Teach - Stone Soup crafts, coloring pages, words, poem and more
- Childrens book: End-School-Year Show by Ofra Peled Teach your kids about planning, cooperation, and friendship when children work together to put on a play Grades 1-4
- An Operation of Cooperation by James McDonald An Operation of Cooperation is an excellent classroom resource that shows the benefit of getting along with others, working as a team, and how helping each other makes the world a better place for everyone.
- Madagascar Penguins Best and funniest Team work 1:37 min
- Team Work Motivational Video 2:11 min. Uses multiple famous quotes and photos to encourage working together.
- Wisdom of Geese 2:09 min.
- "The Pinata"** 30 sec.
- "The Race"** 1 min.
- "You Raise Me Up" 1:30 min.
- The Power Of TeamWork Good TeamWork 3:23 min. Multiple animated examples of cooperation to achieve a goal
- **2015 Oscar Nominated** 3D Animated Shorts: "Sweet Cocoon" - by ESMAThe CGBros - 6:00 min. Two friends help caterpillar get into its cacoon
- Ants Teamwork animation - 3:16 min.
A single brain can't bounce different ideas off of each other. Each team member has a responsibility to contribute equally and offer their unique perspective on a problem to arrive at the best possible solution.
- Teamwork Consult - A cooperative structure for doing worksheets as a team
- Balloon Frantics - A team activity for building cooperation
- Members of the Body Balloon Activity - A team activity for building cooperation
- Cooperative Learning Strategies: A printable resource containing a variety of cooperative learning strategies
Cooperative learning is a successful teaching strategy in which small teams, each with students of different levels of ability, use a variety of learning activities to improve their understanding of a subject. Each member of a team is responsible not only for learning what is taught but also for helping teammates learn, thus creating an atmosphere of achievement. Students work through the assignment until all group members successfully understand and complete it.
- Elements of Cooperative Learning - Lists the characteristics of cooperative learning
- Six Awesome Cooperative Games
- Teaching Guide: Cooperation K-5
- 88 Books That Teach Important Lessons
- Lessons and Strategies for Making a Difference
- Online Resource for Cooperative Learning materials: https://www.kaganonline.com
- Free Series of Articles by Dr. Kagan
- Cooperation Lesson Material - Integrated lesson materials for all curriculum areas, short stories, suggested reading lists, writing prompts, quotes, bulletin board ideas, parent outreach ideas, and involving people in the community
- Let's Cooperate - Resource that shares a definition, what cooperation looks like, criteria of a cooperative person, cooperation within a family and at school, and how to spread the idea of cooperation
- Let's Cooperate! Teachers Share Tips for Cooperative Learning!
Cooperation starts at the top! Teachers who use cooperative learning in their classrooms have developed techniques that make the most of this method-- and they share them. From forming groups to using rubrics, these ideas will make any lesson of a cooperative nature a little more fun! Included: Teacher tips, a rubric for grading students' cooperative efforts, and additional online resources!
- Cooperative Learning: Seventeen Pros and Seventeen Cons plus Ten Tips for Success - article by Dr. Spencer Kagan, Kagan Online Magazine
- Tips For Creating A Desire To Learn SmartBrief, Nov. 28, 2016
Through the clever use of analogies, the author guides educators through simple changes that can make dynamic changes in the classroom environment.
- Keys to Character by Polk County, Florida School District - includes character development lesson material for teachers and parents for the following Life Principles: Responsibility, Compassions, Citizenship, Patriotism, Cooperation, Tolerance, Respect, Honesty, Self-Control, and Kindness
- Elements of a Fable
- 19 Everyday Expressions That Came from Aesop
- Lesson Plans for Teaching Aesop's Fables - includes a wide variety of resources for teaching Aesop’s Fables.
- Mythweb - website with a variety of resources for teaching myths.
- Tips for Teachers for Myths Suggestions for activities in the classroom
- More Teaching Tips for Myths More Suggestions for activities in the classroom
- 5 Tips for Teaching Cooperation - Parents and teachers can help their children develop the skills needed for a lifetime of friendships and positive social connections by teaching and encouraging cooperation skills early. Includes some tips for growing cooperativeness in young children.