Below are a sampling of the resource materials that may be used to identify and evaluate the use of the life principle of Honesty.
It is suggested that evidence of this life principle or the lack of it may be found in almost any writing, film, etc. It is recommended for learners to be engaged in a continuous search for life principle connections as part of the critical reading process.
Tool for Evaluating Components of Types of Media:
- Honesty Virtue Video - YouTube - 3:28 min. High school student singing song video about honesty
- Honesty Rap Song - 3:55 min. video with lyrics
- Truth And Honesty - YouTube 4:13 min. Aretha Franklin
Truth and Honesty Lyrics - printable
- Honesty Rap Song 2:43 min. - song video about telling the truth
All Grade Levels:
- The Prince and the Honest Girl - A Story from Saudi Arabia by Khalid Alzahrani - printable
- "A Boiled Seed Cannot Sprout"- Author Unknown
- The Empty Pot - YouTube - 3:36 min.
- Activity: Compare The Prince and the Honest Girl, A Boiled Seed Cannot Sprout, and The Empty Pot
- Jack Honest or The Widow and Her Son - Short story
- "The Rabbi and The Pearl" by Rabbi Fred Davidow
- The Story of Honest Abe - printable
- Abraham Lincoln 's Honesty by Great American History - Records of Abraham Lincoln's honesty
- Honest Abe Lincoln - UNC School of Education Research showing why Abraham Lincoln was called, "Honest Abe".
- An Honest Kid - true story about the rewards of honesty
An Honest Kid - Printable version)
- Honesty vs Junior Olympic Medal - short story - true story about a 15 yr. old boy at a Junior Olympics Fencing Tournament in Colorado
PreK - 2
- The Best Children's Books for Teaching Honesty - Suggested books for teaching honesty
- The Coal Thief by Alane Adams. Read by Christian Slater - 7 min. video of book - K-3
- The Coal Thief Activity Guide - Materials for Educators
- Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto, Ed Martinez
- Discussion Guide
- Writing Prompt
- Auntie Reads Too Many Tamales - YouTube 7:20 min.
- Kid 's Character Builder - Honesty - [1/2] - YouTube - Video 1 - 6 min. Video 2 - 6:44 min. includes song about honesty
- Lesson Plan on Honesty - K-1
- Honesty worksheets and powerpoint K-2 - free downloadable
3rd - 8th Grade
- Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor Marty will do anything to save his new friend Shiloh in this Newbery Medal–winning novel from Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. Ages 8-12
Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (Book Summary and Review ... 3:11 min. There are multiple video clips on YouTube from the movie.
[PDF]A READING GUIDE TO Shiloh - Scholastic
Shiloh Literature Unit - activities, vocabulary, quizzes, and more
- Liar, Liar by Gary Paulsen | Scholastic - Liar, Liar is a laugh-out-loud tale of teenage angst from beloved and prolific author Gary Paulsen. Familiar topics of crushes, financial trouble and family dynamics are nicely woven into the story, and Paulsen’s characters are as personable and believable as ever. Young readers will enjoy the conversational tone of the book while parents will appreciate the moral message. And that’s no lie.
Middle School/High School:
- Nothing But the Truth by Avi - Structured as a series of journal entries, memos, letters and dialogues, this highly original novel emerges as a witty satire of high school politics, revealing how truth can easily become distorted. After Philip Malloy, a clownish, rather unmotivated freshman, is punished for causing a disturbance (humming ``The Star Spangled Banner' '), facts about the incident become exaggerated until a minor school infraction turns into a national scandal.
Nothing But the Truth Intro video 1:13 min. video
- Pass it On ' Honesty ' commercial - Stay honest under pressure ... 13 sec.
- "Basketball"** 1:00 min. - Honesty & Sportsmanship
- Educational Video - Honesty Cartoon - Youtube Videos ... 6:03 min.
- Honesty PSA - SchoolTube - website with student made videos on honesty
- Stories, T.V. Spots - Values - Select from any of these very short video clips to analyze the choices being made. EXCELLENT Resource!
- abcteach Resources on Honesty - variety of printable materials including poster, vocabulary, writing prompts, etc.
- Honesty - Resource created for schools - Teaching activities, writing prompts, short stories about honesty, suggested reading list, bulletin board ideas, website recommendations
Honesty - Activities for use in classroom
- Lesson plans and Lesson Ideas - a plethora of ideas and resources for use at any level with any story
- Honesty-talk-for-high-school-students - Charles Lipson
- Moral Tales with Positive Outcomes Motivate Kids to be Honest - Article sharing that a moral story that praises the use of honesty is more beneficial than pointing out the consequences.
- Elements of a Fable
- 19 Everyday Expressions That Came from Aesop
- Lesson Plans for Teaching Aesop's Fables - includes a wide variety of resources for teaching Aesop’s Fables.
- Mythweb - website with a variety of resources for teaching myths.
- Tips for Teachers for Myths Suggestions for activities in the classroom
- More Teaching Tips for Myths More Suggestions for activities in the classroom
"Honesty is such a lonely word
Everyone is so untrue
Honesty is hardly ever heard
And mostly what I need from you."
From lyrics of Billy Joel song, "Honesty" (Full lyrics may not be appropriate for all ages)
Questions for discussion:
1. Why is honesty a lonely word?
2. What character flaws would you describe as 'untrue'?
3. What are some ways to model honesty?
4. Why is honesty needed between people?
5. What are some consequences of dishonesty?
- 11 Ways for Teaching Honesty to Kids - Prevent Lying by Teaching Honesty to Kids By understanding why children lie at times, it is easier to understand what to do . Getting behind the deceitful words( or actions )and into the child's mind will help you practice preventive discipline . Here are ways for teaching honesty to kids .
- Honesty Deﬁcit Disorder( HDD ) . . . or, What to Do When Your Kids Lie by Charles Fay, Ph.D. More Resources at https://www.loveandlogic.com
- Lying::Love and Logic Institute, Inc . | MyNewsletterBuilder Newsletter with strategies on lying