Resources on Self-Discipline
Below are a sampling of the resource materials that may be used to identify and evaluate the use of the life principle of Self-discipline. It is suggested that evidence of this life principle or the lack of it may be found in almost any writing, flim, etc. It is recommended for learners to be engaged in a continuous search for life principle connections as part of the critical reading process.
Tool for Evaluating Components of Types of Media:
- The Pig and the Candy Store fable
- Joey Pigza Loses Control by Jack Gantos Grades 3-5
Joey Pigza Loses Control Teaching Plan
- Salt in His Shoes: Michael Jordan in Pursuit of a Dream by Deloris Jordan The mere mention of the name conjures up visions of basketball played at its absolute best. But as a child, Michael almost gave up on his hoop dreams, all because he feared he'd never grow tall enough to play the game that would one day make him famous. That's when his mother and father stepped in and shared the invaluable lesson of what really goes into the making of a champion -- patience, determination, and hard work.
- "Salt In His Shoes" Book video 6:03 min.
- Salt in His Shoes Book Guide – 2nd – 4th Free download
- Salt in His Shoes Pinterest links
- The Ox Cart Man by Donald Hall
- Lesson Plan for The Ox-cart Man Grades 3-5
- Discussion Guide for The Ox Cart Man
- Ox Cart Man Lesson Plans - Variety of lesson plans and resources
- Clown - summary with illustrations by Quentin Blake
In a wordless book, a toy clown is discarded in the rubbish bin along with his stuffed animal friends, and he starts on a quest to find them all a new home, finally succeeding after some unfortunate adventures.
Horn Book. (Ages: Preschool - 1).
Clown Teaching Ideas
- Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor 3rd – 6th - When Marty Preston comes across a young beagle in the hills behind his home, it's love at first sight and also big trouble. It turns out the dog, which Marty names Shiloh belongs to Judd Travers who drinks too much and has a gun and abuses his dogs.
Shiloh Discussion Guide
Shiloh Vocabulary Builder
Shiloh Extension Activity
- Elements of a Fable
- 19 Everyday Expressions That Came from Aesop
- Lesson Plans for Teaching Aesop's Fables - includes a wide variety of resources for teaching Aesop’s Fables.
- Mythweb - website with a variety of resources for teaching myths.
- Tips for Teachers for Myths Suggestions for activities in the classroom
- More Teaching Tips for Myths More Suggestions for activities in the classroom
- Marshmellow Test 3:27 min. Several kids wrestle with waiting to eat a marshmellow in hopes of a bigger prize - Good for showing choices/self discipline by very young children
- The Three Questions - 6:13 min. Based on story by Leo Tolstoy adapted by Jon Muth
The Three Questions Poster - Questions from book, The Three Questions by Jon Muth
- The Three Questions by Leo Tolstoy – simplified version - Printable
- Rocket - Making a Choice to overcome a challenge 30 sec. Fizzling Rocket provides opportunity for CHOICE. Great for 2-6th
- Stories, T.V. Spots - Values - Select from any of these very short video clips to analyze the choices being made. EXCELLENT Resource!
Middle School/High School:
- Marshmallow Test 3:27 min. Several kids wrestle with waiting to eat a marshmallow in hopes of a bigger prize - Making choices! Replicating research study by Stanford University. Background on the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment
- Stories, T.V. Spots - Values - Select from any of these very short video clips to analyze the choices being made. EXCELLENT!
Below are just a couple to go to quickly.
- The Power of Self-Discipline - No Excuses 4:30 min.
- How does self-discipline demonstrated in the video clip?
Do The Right Thing 1:00 min. Peer Pressure can be used as a positive force, as seen in this scenario! Watch as a group of teens influence their friend to do the right thing while hanging out at a music store.
- Art Idea for the ‘Dog and Bone Fable’:
1. Have learners draw their own illustration after the story is read.
2. Google ‘The Dog and Bone Fable’ and a group of pictures will be one of the choices. Clicking on this will take you to a whole group of pictures depicting the dog
and bone fable. Compare and contrast the various illustrations.
Song – Self-discipline (tune of M-i-c-k-e-y M-o-u-s-e)
Self-discipline clap, clap
Self-discipline clap, clap
We should use self-discipline clap, clap
S-E-L-F D-I-S-C I-P L-I N-E clap, clap
- How to Discipline Yourself - Specific strategies for building self-discipline
- Pinterest link to Self-discipline Ideas
- How To Discipline Yourself With 10 Habits
- Teaching Self-Control: Evidence-based Tips
- Self-Regulation/Self-Control: Tips and Strategies - article with specific strategies.
- Zero to Three - Discipline and Limit Setting - Video and a selection of related articles
- Effective Parenting - Helping Children Learn Self-Discipline also has Spanish version