38 Practice #5 Implementation Ideas
1. QFT - Question Formulation Technique (quick guide) - The purpose of this guide is to give you a quick overview of the Question Formulation Technique™ (QFT™) and to provide you with an outline you can use to experience the question formulation process. The process uses cooperative groups to formulate questions and outcomes on an assigned topic. For a comprehensive description and analysis of how to use the Question Formulation Technique™ in the classroom, please see, Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions, 2011 Harvard Education Press. http://www.hepg.org/hep/book/144/MakeJustOneChange
2. C.R.O.S.S.ROADS Decision-making Worksheet - Five step process for problem-solving, general decision-making, goal setting, and conflict resolution.
- Complete set of Goal Setting Process Explanation, Forms and Examples for all grade levels
3. Socratic Questioning Resources
- Designing Effective Projects: Questioning The Socratic Questioning Technique - explanation of the Socratic questioning technique
- Socratic Question Stems - Question stem examples for all levels (single page format)
- Socratic Question Stems Mini Booklet - Foldable Mini Booklet Format
- Mini Booklet Directions - How-to instructions for making the booklet
- Socratic Questions Cube - Question stem examples on a foldable cube for use in Socratic Questioning Strategies
- Socratic Questioning Learning Strategies - Learning Strategies for use with the Socratic Sheet, Booklet, and Cube
4. Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy Question Resources
- Bloom's Taxonomy - an explanation and comparison between the original and revised taxonomies.
- Revised Bloom's Taxonomy Questions - Questions stems for all levels (single page format)
- Bloom's Question Stems Booklet - Foldable Mini Booklet Format
- Mini Booklet Directions - How-to instructions for making the booklet
- Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy Cube - Question stems on a foldable cube for use with Revised Bloom’s Questioning Learning Strategies.
- Revised Bloom’s Questioning Learning Strategies - 4 Learning Strategies for use with the Revised Bloom’s Sheet, Booklet, and Cube
5. Six Question Cube - Question Cube with the six basic questions,
Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How.
- Six Question Learning Strategies
- Six Questions Stems Sheet
- Sign Language for Question Stems - Add a nonverbal component using official sign language
- Music Videos for Practice 5 and Question Stems Songs - Includes some songs in Spanish
6. What Questions Did You Ask Today? 3:55 min. Excellent video giving
basic questions about asking questions.
7. Depth of Knowledge Chart - 4 levels of knowledge with verbs
8. Fish Bowl Strategy - May be used for introducing new content or reviewing
Inside the Fishbowl: A Tool for Student Discussions - Strategy for learners to
research and discuss major current events happening in our world.
Article from ‘Ideas from the Field’ in ASCD Express
13. Lesson Strategies for Enthusiasm
14. Music for the classroom - List of active music links to videos for use in the
15. Celebration - Fun quick celebrations for effort
18. Brain Break - Elementary
Brain Break - High School - contains links to lists of online Brain Breaks
19. https://leadasap.ysa.org/ - This is a website for introducing service projects for
youth; has ideas, how to start, a pledge, and a way to share the project online.
21. Problem-solving Resources Elem and MS/HS - Songs, Videos, Websites, Links
to supplementary material within the GE website, and Other Materials
22. Curiosity Resources - contains material for both Elementary and Middle/High
School - Songs, Videos, Websites, Links to supplementary material within the
GE website, and Other Materials
23. Use graphic organizers, Mind Maps, etc. to help students make connections
among ideas so they do not see these concepts as disconnected facts.
- Britannica Learn Resources - Terrific Resource!!!! Scroll down to a variety of sections in different content areas - i.e. Britannica School Classroom Materials contains an abundance of free graphic organizer tools which are downloadable and may be filled in on the computer by learners.
- Resource for a Variety of Printable Graphic Organizers English and Spanish versions
24. “If teachers post peripheral displays on a topic a week before they actually Cover the content, students begin to subconsciously embed the content and build a foundation for the upcoming lesson.” - Eric Jensen. (2003). Environments for Learning, San Diego: The Brain Store, 18
25. Display a quote from the Life Principles on the board as learners enter. Have them write a 3-5 sentence reflection applying the quote personally or to a current real life situation. Option: After a few minutes do a pair/share to allow for processing.
i.e. Effort - link to effort life principle resources
Definition - doing one’s best in an endeavor (Printable poster) Quote Poster - “A man of words and not of deeds is like a garden full of weeds.” -English Proverb (Printable poster)
26. Lessons for 21st Century Learners - an article sharing three ideas for fostering collaboration, critical thinking, communication and creativity with easy-to-use apps and tools.
27. Use available simulations such as https://www.stockmarketgame.org/ - An online simulation of the global capital markets that engages students grades 4-12 in the world of economics, investing and personal finance and that has prepared 16 million students for financially independent futures.
28. Secondary Example for Cross-Curriculum
http://lessonplanspage.com/scientific-poetry-cross-curricular-lesson-plans/ - Resource for cross-curricular lesson plans in all subject areas and levels created by teachers
29. Stories with Holes by Nathan Levy - The famous logic stories that make kids and adults think! Each book contains new stories for children ages 7-77. Stimulate pupil critical and creative thinking skills.
30. Puzzles to Print - includes a variety of puzzles at different levels to print including Wordles (rebus puzzles)
- Rebus Puzzles - Scholastic - a printable sheet of Wordle puzzles. Encourage learners to create their own.
- Rebus Puzzle Explanation and Guide to Solving - Explains what a rebus puzzle is and gives strategies for solving them.
- 100 Rebus puzzles - 100 different rebus puzzles. It gives the answers to the previous puzzles and three new ones to solve. The website offers a menu of a large variety of other word puzzles.
31. https://www.learn4good.com/kids-games/simulation.htm -Learn 4 Good games site: Free simulation games online for kids to play now with no download: Online airplane games, helicopter flying simulation games, bridge building sim games, interactive educational games for children, RPG games for PC, Mac, iPad. 32. Create a ‘travel guide’ introducing a new concept/information using an applications such as www.canva.com. This app has both free and pay selections.
33. Google Earth Education Resources - An abundance of resources including lessons, step-by-step guides, tutorials on Google Tools, etc. Use the filter to access all of the Tools such as:
- Explore Earth
- Google Earth - an interactive globe
- Tour Builder - an interactive storytelling tool that connects people to places using Google Maps and multimedia content.
- Street View - a 360 degree virtual walk to places around the world
- RealWorldMath.org - a collection of free math activities for Google Earth designed for students and educators
34. On-Line Resource: Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants - A free resource for educators to bring scientists and other experts into any classroom
“Exploring By The Seat Of Your Pants aims to inspire the next generation of scientists, explorers and conservationists. We do this by bringing science, exploration, adventure and conservation into classrooms through virtual speakers and field trips with leading experts across the globe. Since starting in September 2015 we've connected tens of thousands of students to scientists and explorers in over 40 countries. Best part of all, it is and always will be 100% free for classrooms!”
35. Use Virtual Tours visiting famous museums, historic sites, and libraries.
Presidential Libraries Virtual Tours - site giving links to the virtual tours
36. Education Resources Archives - Lots of educational resources including
lessons, access to original documents from the National Archives, online
exhibits, and much more.