Lower Elementary Curriculum Memorization Strategies
- Don’t mention ‘memorize’ at ALL!
- Have students echo a short phrase, i.e. 10 states, etc.
- Repeat regularly. Build into part of every day.
- Fun poem monthly - begin first day of month when doing calendar.
- Longer recitations – i.e. “Builders for Eternity”(see link on Lesson Strategies page), 1st part of MLK speech, "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost
Work on these for 2 months at the same time as short poem.
- Beginning of year – Do Nursery Rhymes, i.e. "Wise Old Owl" - Create book of single pages with picture and do a 3D craft image related to rhyme. Consider asking for a grant to purchase binders so each student has one to take home.
2nd semester - Create nursery rhyme book with single pages with rhyme and illustration that gives them a 20+ book to read through that they already know.
Teach geography lesson daily with map:
We live in:
Start with 10 states in Sept. Add a few each week. No song at this stage, but may use a hand clap, lap clap rhythm. Finds it works better!
By Lisa Dunaway, Great Expectations Instructor and Early Childhood Educator