Introductory R Activity PreK-2
D.R.E.A.M. Process – Second Step
R – Realize strengths and potential:
To have students working out of their strengths and developing a learner-directed accountability system based on high expectations and rigor.
- Expectation #2: We will not laugh at or make fun of a person’s mistakes nor use sarcasms or put downs. Includes: Literature, Music, Videos, Vocabulary, Writing Prompts, and Activities at three levels: Elementary - Middle School - High School
- Life Principle: Respect - Includes activities, quote posters, literature/poetry, and other resources
- Quote: “A person’s a person, no matter not small.” - --Dr. Seuss
- I Am A Promise with lyrics 1:43 min.
- I Am A Promise Instrumental with Lyrics 1:43 min.
- "I'm Amazing" by Zeb Mo 3:15 min.
- Respect Song 2:54 min
WE’RE A STAR CLASS!
Pre K – 2
Introductory Activity for the ‘R’ in DREAM
Objective: To have class see themselves as unique and capable.
Materials: One star for the class. See Pattern Page 2.
Book, Stand Tall, Molly Lou Mellon, or link to the video Book Talk:
Stand Tall, Molly Lou Mellon 5:49 min.
- Gather learners together in a group.
- Display the star and explain the purpose and process in gathering information for the class. (Option: Project onto Smart Board)
- Read the book, Stand Tall, Molly Lou Mellon, or watch the Read Aloud video.
- Using the pattern attached (p.2) fill in the star with suggestions from the learners that might describe someone like Molly Lou Mellon.
Lesson Plan Resource: Molly Lou Mellon Lesson Guide - includes a variety of activities including vocabulary, math problems, etc.
Follow Up: Use this idea to create STARS for each member of the group and display on a bulletin board, clothesline, or in a notebook, etc. - Star Pattern
Have learners draw or write about:
One of my strengths is…..