Make it Happen Elementary
D.R.E.A.M. Process – Fifth Step
M – Make it happen!
To create a plan for carrying out a goal.
- Expectation #7: We will encourage each other to do our best. Includes:
Literature, Music, Videos, Vocabulary, Writing Prompts, and Activities
at three levels: Elementary - Middle School - High School
- Life Principle, Perseverance- Includes activities, quote posters, literature/poetry, and other resources at three levels: Elementary - Middle School - High School
“You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So... get on your way!”
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!
- Opportunity or Select any words from the Vision/Dream Glossary
- Lower Elementary Lexicon
- Lexicon Resource
- When You Wish Upon A Star with lyrics 3:49 min. Pre K - 2
- Hercules I Can Go the Distance 3:02 min. K-5
- Michael Bolton - Go The Distance 4:32 min.
- Go the Distance by Michael Bolton with lyrics 4:43 min.
- Desert Pete song by the Kingston Trio 2:43 min.
- Desert Pete Lyrics
- One Moment in Time by Whitney Houston 5:26 min. film clips from the Olympics
- One Moment in Time lyrics with Whitney Houston 5:56 min.
- One Moment in Time (Karoke) 4:45 min.
Technology Activity:Using their smart phones or iPads have students open their browser and search for ‘Top 10 Dream quote slide show’. It will take them to a slide show of these quotes.
For use with Smart Board, click on this address, Top 10 Michael Jordan Quotes
Ask them to pick their favorite quote or two. Option: Enter in a journal or save in NOTES on their phone for future use.
Top 10 John Wooden Quotes
Top 10 Work Quotes
Use the C.R.O.S.S.ROADS™ Decision-making worksheet to work through the choice/s evident in any of the videos or stories below. Example: C.R.O.S.S.ROADS™ worksheet for Three Questions Story: Three Questions by Leo Tolstoy (Simplified Version)
2) Use the Elementary D.R.E.A.M. Checklist to identify any of the five
D.R.E.A.M. steps in the videos or stories below. (Option for student copies: D.R.E.A.M. Checklist x2 printable)
Discuss how these elements are evident.
- Big Tough Guy Has the Most UNEXPECTED Voice
- 12 year Old Boy Surprising Voice 5:36 min.
- 10 year old Girl Sings: Girl on Fire for The Voice Kids 2014 - 4:12 min.
- "Famous Failures" 2:58 min.
- An Awesome Book by Dallas Clayton - 3:30 min Read Aloud of the book about Dreaming
- Dream by Adam Montierth – 4:39 Read Aloud of book "Dream" conveys to children to dream big and have the confidence that great things can and do happen. K-3
- Matthew's Dream by Leo Lionni 3:34 min. K-3 Read Aloud
- Dream by Susan Bosak 10:16 min. Read Aloud All Ages
- Dream - Legacy Project - Resources for book, DREAM
- Activities for book, DREAM Free online guides and activities
- Dream by Susan Bosak "Dream" is a winner of 10 national awards with 15 of the top illustrators in the world each offering illustrations.
- Billy's Mountain by Steve Richardson - A country boy’s dream to build a mountain.
- Storyarts.org - Fantastic website with lots of short stories and activity ideas.
PreK – 3
Use the C.R.O.S.S.ROADS™ Goal Setting process to take learners through the choices the main characters make in the following stories:
1)The Curious Garden by Peter Brown
Ages 4-8 A curious boy named Liam lives in a city without gardens or trees, everyone spends time indoors. When Liam discovers a lonely, struggling garden on an old abandoned railway he decides to help the plants grow, never imagining what his curiosity is starting. This is a gem of a book about how one person’s passion transform a city and change the world.
- The Curious Garden by Peter Brown 7:57 min. video of book
- The Curious Garden Read Aloud 4:50 min.
- Free Color Pages from the Book The Curious Garden
- Pre-school gardening lesson plan - has incredible resources including daily plans with links to specific songs, crafts, activities, etc.
- Preschool Plan It Planting Seeds Theme - Website with great lesson plan and resources
- Plants and Gardening Theme Ideas - Thematic Unit, Plant and Flower Activities: , Lang Arts, Math, and Art with printables, etc. PreK-1
- Learning To Give Kids Can Make A Difference Lessons K, 1, 2
2) The Three Questions by Jon J. Muth 6:13 min. Read Aloud of the book
Inner peace can be elusive even for adults, yet that really is the main topic of J. Muth’s latest children’s book. The three questions–what is the best time to do things? Who is the most important one? What is the right thing to do?
Turn out to be the lessons for a young boy named Nikolai. This work is based on the story by Leo Tolstoy, but with vivid illustrations and a story children will love.
- The Three Questions by John Muth:
- Three Questions Poster - Printable poster with the Three Questions
- Background behind The Three Questions and summary of story - Wikipedia
Learning To Give Kids Can Make A Difference Lessons - Lesson plan
based on the book, The Three Questions. Students identify some community or
school need, formulate, and execute a plan to address it.
- Make A Difference Day - Start a project! Make it happen!
Have learners draw or write for 3-5 minutes about:
1) I can make a difference by…
2) I would like to
3rd – 5th
Real Life Examples:
1) POWER OF CHILDREN Award Winners - Brief descriptions of boys and girls
across America who are making a difference in their communities and across the
Will Lourcey FROGS website - Will Lourcey “Power of Children” Award Winner
Grade 6 (2014-2015 school year)
Hometown: Fort Worth, Texas
Project: FROGs: Friends Reaching Our Goals
A man on a street holding a sign that read “NEED A MEAL” was all seven-year-old Will Lourcey needed to begin his journey of service to others. Will leapt into action to form FROGs: Friends Reaching Our Goals. This team fights hunger in its community by creating fun events designed to raise awareness and money for meals. Will cites “Hits and Kicks Against Hunger” as an example. Students recruited sponsors to pay $1 for every hit or goal scored in youth baseball, softball or soccer games. That resulted in thousands of meals for the hungry.
He has engaged over 2,000 volunteers to help. “We are inspiring kids to recognize they have power: No matter how tall or small you are…YOU can make a BIG difference!” said Will.
- Will Lourcey on CNN – Has brief video of Will and His project.
- Will Lourcey Ted Talk 6:58 min.
Journal Reflection: (Select One)
Have learners draw or write for 3-5 minutes about:
The story of the Three Questions makes me want to…
I think I could…
A time I helped make a difference was…